The World Poker Tour Championship took place for the third time at the Bellagio resort, Sunday afternoon.
The tournament only lured in a couple of hundred people au contraire to the thousand that flock each spring to the World Series of Poker. But do not think that the Bellagio was hosting a bunch of losers; this event drew in the world’s top notch players who paid a $25,000 buy in to the tournament, including some of Australia’s best players from land based and online casino games.
Even though many of the contestants were new comers who logged off the internet poker games to make it to the tournament, the final six winners were all experienced players and former champions.
The tournament lasted just over seven hours and this year’s winner was a Los Angeles resident, Tuan Le, who raked in the world’s biggest Poker tournament prize at $2.9 million.
So these are the rankings, backgrounds and prize sums:
- 1st place- Tuan Le who won last year’s World Poker Tour at the Foxwoods casino in Connecticut, this year he won $2.9 million.
- 2nd- Paul Maxfield from England won $1.7 million
- 3rd- Hasan Habib of Los Angeles who placed second place last year’s World Poker Tour championship and won this year a sum of $896,375, although he was in the lead at the beginning of the final table with $7.8 million in chips.
- 4th- John Phan from Long Beach who also won a Commerce Casino tournament this year made at this tournament $518,920.
- 5th- Rob Hollink of the Netherlands who won a European poker tournament in Monaco this year made $377,420.
- 6th- the poker pro Phil Ivey, the only Las Vegas player on the rankings who has won three World Series of Poker events and placed at several other tournaments came in at 6th with $264,195.
Habib was ahead by far of the bunch but had an unlucky streak. That’s just the way that poker goes, and we can even see from the performance of Phil Ivey that those who seem to be on top of the world can also falter and come in a little further down the rankings sometimes!
Published by Bruce Parker of Australian Online Casinos.